Monday, April 4, 2016

there's something about being a teacher...

I’m convinced that there is nothing more rewarding than being a teacher.

As many of you might know I am working my way through my last semester of college by completing my student teaching experience. And let me tell you, I have learned more in this past month about myself than I have in my 21 years of life.

I’m in a 6th grade classroom full of students who look to me for the rules of how to listen to silly stories, behave when I’m bored, and treat members of the opposite sex. I am always being observed and I’m sure criticized. I’ve lost it and given up more times than I’d like to admit. I’ve had little girls try to start drama with me and I’ve had little boys try to make crude jokes about me. But I repeat, I’m convinced there is nothing more rewarding than being a teacher.


There is something about when those kids come up to tell just you something they know you’ll care about that just makes your heart burst. There's something about when that girl who barely speaks out in class gives you a hand-drawn picture just for you. 
There is just something about when you see a kid who has a horrible home life finally get the content and just want to celebrate with a completely silent game of Uno with you. Let me say, I played that game of Uno with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. 

In this month of teaching I have gained more stories than I could ever recount. Each kid is completely unique and needs something different from me. As a people-person, this can be both exhausting and exhilarating. 

Everyday is an adventure and I am blessed to be on it. In the first week of this experience, I knew this is what the Lord has called me to do. Watching His plan unravel before me to give me just a glimpse into what my life might look like has been a humbling and amazing experience. 

I've never been so pleased with my decision to pursue a career in education as I am in this moment, (even if I do need to remind myself this every morning when I get up before sunrise). 

I’m convinced that there is nothing more rewarding than being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment