Friday, June 5, 2015

My Summer So Far

Well currently I am listening to some country music and chilling on a couch at my Aunt and Uncle's house.

I know that doesn't sound all that exciting, but it actually is. I've been moving more this summer than in most of my summers.

Earlier in May, I got to visit my family in West Virginia and have a blast with them, doing absolutely nothing. They are the greatest people to be around and I love that feeling of traveling, but still feeling at home. Ah, can't wait to see them again.




Last week, I had the privilege of going to OBX with one of my very best friends and her wonderful family. The week was filled with so much laughter, reading, chocolate, water, and late nights watching Supernatural. We saw lighthouses and the Lost Colony and took way too many pictures. We chased (or in my case, ran from) crabs on the beach at night and found a whole hoard of seashells.

The Lord has blessed me tremendously with people in my life that understand me and want to live life with me. The week at Outer Banks with them allowed me to appreciate that all over again.
















Well I got home from the beach, packed up my things, slept in my own bed for one night, and left for my internship in Richmond the next day.

Currently I am finishing up my first of two weeks interning at the Virginia Capitol Foundation. Anyone who knows me well knows I love museums and all things history (and no I don't do reenactments). This internship is a really fascinating way to see what all has to go into keeping a historical sight, artifacts, and monuments relevant and maintained. This foundation does most of the fundraising for the Capitol building, Capitol Square, and the Governor's Mansion.



As an intern, I do what I can to help the VCF by setting up social media, transcribing their visitor movie script and assigning Virginia Standards of Learning to it, and brainstorming ways to bring new people into the Capitol.

I have truly enjoyed working with them and, honestly, seeing what being a real adult might look like for me. Haha. University is ending soon, so I am happy to get this experience under my belt.

(To the left is the inside of the building I work in, it is the Old City Hall for Richmond. To the right is a picture, 18 stories high on the building a work in. The gray castle building is where the office is and the white building is the Virginia Capitol.)







I am spending the rest of these two weeks with my Aunt and Uncle as they show me what Richmond really has to offer. I get to experience a city and see the museums, visit old buildings, and eat at new restaurants. In the middle of next week, I am even going to some guy's political party that is running for the VA Senate.

It's all very new, but I am loving every second of it.
This summer has been awesome so far, and I know I have been truly blessed.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment